Cross Training – What It Is and Why You Should Do It
Cross training has been a very popular method of keeping fit for quite some time now. We have all seen those ridiculously fit people in the gym working out on one. They are also really popular for those who have gyms at home too. Closely resembling a bike with no saddle, the cross trainer can be a great way of boosting your fitness.
By using a cross trainer, you are able to lose weight, tone up and work multiple muscle groups at the same time. There are so many benefits that come with cross training. If you are thinking about investing in a cross trainer for your home gym, then you may be wondering what muscles are actually worked by this piece of equipment.
Muscle Groups That Benefit From Cross Training
As noted above, one of the best things about the cross trainer is the fact that it works numerous muscle groups at one time. The problem with a lot of work out equipment like the treadmill, or the exercise bike, is that they only tend to work one set of muscles at a time. Here are some of the muscles that can benefit from working out on a cross trainer.
Lower Muscle Groups
The lower muscle groups really get a good work out when cross training. If you want to improve your lower body tone, then cross training is definitely a good idea. Some of the muscles that are worked by cross training include:
- Quads & Hamstrings – When pedalling on a cross trainer, the quads and hamstrings get a major work out, whether you are pedalling or striding backwards or forwards. However, it is important that you adjust the stride on your cross trainer so that it is comfortable, otherwise you risk injuring yourself.
- Glutes – If you want to tone your buttocks, then cross training is definitely a good idea. By mimicking the position of cycling, you can really maximise your work out, especially if you are doing high intensity interval training. As you can see, the lower muscle groups really benefit from cross training in general.
Upper Muscle Groups
Much like the lower muscle groups, your upper body muscles will also benefit from using a cross trainer. Again, if you would like to build muscle on your upper body, then you could benefit from cross training. Some of the upper muscles that get a work out from cross training include:
- Biceps & Triceps – As you push and pull the handlebars of the cross trainers, both the front and the back of your biceps and triceps will be getting a good work out. If you struggle to build muscle in these areas then cross training is a great idea to try out.
- Back Muscles – Just like your biceps, your back muscles will benefit massively from using a cross trainer. Again, this happens when you push and pull the handlebars as you stride. Be careful with the resistance levels so that you don’t risk injuring yourself.
Work Out Tips For Cross Training
If you are new to cross training, then you might want to learn a few tips before you start training so that you can get the best results possible. Here are a couple of tips to get started.
- YouTube Work Out Tutorials – If you want to get the best results from your cross training work outs, then it can be a really good idea to take a look on YouTube at some of the many cross training tutorials. There are numerous work outs for different things such as weight loss or muscle toning, so you can make sure that you get the results that you are looking for.
- Don’t Go Too Hard – Many of us are tempted to run before we can walk, when it comes to working out. However, the problem with this is that you run the risk of picking up an injury. As you can imagine, if you get an injury then you are going to put yourself back in getting fit. Start out with low resistance and short work outs until you build your fitness up a little, then increase things.
The great news is that there are some fantastic cross trainers online that come packed with features. If you want to work out at home, then a cross trainer would be the perfect addition to any home gym. You are able to work out your whole body, do high intensity interval training and even lose weight if this is your goal. Always make sure that you read customer reviews if you are going to be buying a cross trainer to that you can make sure that you are happy with the cross trainer.